Join me on my spiritual safari to Uganda and now through Kenya

Safari translates to "journey" in Swahili, one of the native languages to Uganda and Kenya

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Reflection

Pounding it out with nephew Jackson in Colorado over the holidays.

Before we left Kenya in December I decided to have extensions and twists added to my hair - 4 1/2 hours and 3 hardworking ladies later it was complete. Over a month later it took my mom and I eight hours to take out and lots, and lots, lots of hair fell out - not sure if I will do it again:)

A group of us arranged for an official graduation for the 2010 graduating class of the Hawkers Market Girls Centre - excited to report all of the girls have been successfully placed in either a job or are attending school to further their education!

One week before we left Kenya in December our Touring Wagon was stolen and to this day has not been found - the whole situation is still under investigation, which isn't surprising.

Yikes – it has been months, even a new year has arrived, since I have last updated my blog. Although I think and process blog posts in my head frequently I have neglected to get it down in writing. It is apparent that a lot has happened since October 29, 2010 including leaving Kenya in December to be home with our families for the holiday season, which then got extended longer than anticipated. Madison returned to Kenya mid-January to continue running Honey Care Africa. I on the other hand stayed in NJ for an extra month to spend some long overdue quality time with my family and friends and of course to earn some extra money to sustain us here in Kenya. As much as I enjoyed living back with my loving parents after officially moving out 8 years ago, seeing my sweet nephews almost on a daily basis, and working as a substitute teacher in the Berkeley Heights school district, subbing yoga classes, and doubling as a nanny (ok, babysitter, but for the most well-behaved, adorable two-year old twin boys), I was ready to return to Nairobi and be back with my husband. Fortunately, I was able to find my way back to Kenya last week and continue on this journey with my soul mate. The saying is true though, “absence makes the heart grow fonder.”

As I reflect on my time back home after our first segment in Kenya a variety of emotions, thoughts, and situations flood through me. I know the first few luxuries Madison and I both noticed and were extremely grateful for upon arrival in NJ were high speed-internet, my mother’s delicious homemade Italian cooking (the thought of it makes my mouth water), structured, organized driving on smooth, paved roads (although Madison now finds US driving standards boring and had to be reminded a few times to drive on the right side of the road) and of course, soap in public restrooms. While Madison thoroughly enjoyed long, hot showers, I was taking advantage of my driving privileges and reveling in the freedom of going where I want, when I want, in my own vehicle that I was confidently able to drive. In the same breath came the realization of how our Kenyan lifestyle has begun to influence us. I found I was distancing myself from what I felt was petty drama finding its way into my life, resisting talking on the phone just to talk, and being short-tempered when I found myself having to justify why we are choosing to be of assistance and aid in Kenya when there is so much poverty in the U.S. It took some time adjusting to the superfluous amount of choice that exists in grocery stores and malls, how overpriced and expensive everything appeared to be, and how all of the options and luxuries that do exist make life that much more complicated.

I was surprised to feel anxiety overwhelm me on the flight from NJ to Denver. After much reflection I began to realize why these feelings were surfacing. Denver was our home, our life full of family and friends, our jobs just months prior before we uprooted and moved to Kenya. Here I was returning to a place that I used to call home. I felt anxious, strange, and almost scared to return to Denver. Of course those feelings quickly subsided as it was wonderful to visit and spend quality time with family, friends, and old co-workers. Every day was packed with trying to visit more friends or attend events and of course there never seems to be enough time which made it hard to leave. As much as I miss everything about our lives in Denver, in the same breath I am confident in our decision to pursue our dreams in Kenya.

I have now been in Kenya for a little over a week. It still shocks me how easy I can transition from one lifestyle/culture to another – still questioning whether it’s a good thing or not? A different sense of comfort surrounds me though this time here – perhaps it’s because we had four months already to experience and get settled into life in Kenya and I am extremely grateful I am able pick up on life right where I left it in December or maybe it’s because the events of the past few months have provided me with the assurance that where we are is exactly where we should be. Regardless of what transpires during the next few months, I would have not traded the opportunity to live in Kenya for anything.

2 comments:

  1. I remember how quickly I would transition from one culture to another too - (I spent quite a bit of time in Turkey) and I'm loving this that you're doing. I'm also a bit jealous! You will never be the same now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awe, my dear friend. You are very good at putting your thoughts together in writing. I miss you and our long talks. I'm very proud of you and your journey with MD. <3, Monica

    ReplyDelete